Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Looking into My Crystal Ball for my Nursing Future

Every clinical week we have a post clinical conference (PCC) where our clinical group sits around talking about our experiences. A few weeks ago I was in the OR, so I had instructor Y (as in Why oh Why does she want me to feel like an incompetent ass) lead our PCC. One of her topics was to talk about the areas where we have interest.

Before this discussion I've made it quite well known that I am interested in Critical Care, especially Coronary Critical Care. After instructor Y made me feel like Jerry Lewis in the PACU, I began to question if that is the best place for me. But, after a few weeks of looking back on the experience and realizing that it wasn't a true test of my abilities, since I still AM IN SCHOOL, I will cut myself some slack and go forward with the plan to be ultimately a CCU nurse.

My summer externship will play an important part of my decision making when I get the chance to see first hand what cardiac nurses do and if it suits my personality.

Side note: Instructor Y has made it very clear that she doesn't like cardiac and considering how polar opposite we are in many aspects, I take it as a good sign that I will like it.

No comments: