Sunday, April 13, 2008

X Band

Our clinical schedule for this semester has us 6 weeks on either a medical or surgical floor, 3 weeks in OR/PACU/Home Health and 3 weeks on the orthopedic floor.

I had instructor X for my 6 weeks on a medical floor and I LOVED her. She was the first instructor I've had that I felt sized up her students and knew their strengths and weaknesses and tried to address them. I really liked her communication style and she didn't let people get away with things that other instructors let slide (like multiple missed clinical days).

I particular liked her because she liked me. Since starting school, I haven't felt a connection with a single instructor. I don't know if it is because I feel I don't need their approval or if it is because they are all fucking looney and my brand of crazy doesn't match theirs (note to self: do a blog entry about apparent mental illness among nursing school instructors). Instructor X is the first one that I feel could be a true mentor for me. I really didn't have that the first time around for my BA, so it is nice to have someone to go to for advice this go round.

Have I mentioned that instructor X used to be a psych nurse? Perfect fit for me.

Anyway, at the end of this semester we go through a ceremony called Black Banding. My school only recently gave up wearing the white hats and it used to be that after your second semester you would get a black band put onto your cap. Hence - "Black Banding". You would pick an RN that you want to put the band on you. Now my school gives you a pin with a black band that you wear on your uniform. I have asked instructor X to Band me. It is such a relief to know that someone who I respect so much will do this honor.

No comments: