Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Orientation Day #3

The main part of Orientation is OVER! YIPPEEE!

Today they pulled out the big guns and we had our overview of the two classes we will be taking. One of them is strictly classroom based and covers the profession of nursing, history, current nursing issues and other effluvia. I think as a class we were overwhelmed by the amount of work needed for the class and underwhelmed with the realization there will be a bunch of group work.

Most of the day was orientation for our clinical class. We went through schedules, the syllabus and the myriad of paperwork that each clinical experience will require. For this semester we will be at a clinical site once a week, lab once a week and in lecture two days a week. While it doesn't sound like much, I think I will be killing a tree with the amount of printed material I will be generating.

We also ordered our lab coats and uniforms. By the end of the session, there were no secrets left as far as measurements were concerned.

The last session consisted of presentations by the various student organizations. I'm interested in the student nursing association, but I have to say the idea of being a part of student government is a bit too much like high school for me. Plus, the nursing association people gave us all penlights :) I am so easily bought.

All I have to do tomorrow is get my hospital badge (which means I get a discount in the cafeteria woo-woo) and go to employee health for a 15 minute appointment. I have no idea why employee health wants to see me, so this will be interesting.

That leaves me plenty of time to do my homework needed for Monday. More on that tomorrow.

No comments: